MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Queen of Shadows

Queen of Shadows - Dianne Sylvan Quick Take: This book gripped from the first page and never let go. The tone is dark, yet filled with tenderness at the right moments. I am officially in love with Sylvan's tight writing style. For all the urban fantasy I read, I find that I don't delve into the much darker stuff as often as I'd like. Indeed the lighter and more witty fare is so easily accessible; what can I say, I'm a happy-sappy-gal! But when a dark urban fantasy book gets it right, it will knock me out and is ultimately the stuff that stays with me the longest and deepest. This book was just that type of UF.If you're a frequent reader of urban fantasy, you'll already have noticed that many of the genre's titles are written in the first person. This book--being in the third person and switching narrative perspective amongst a few characters (for development of certain plot points)--obviously differs from the trend but works marvelously. It really boils down to the fact that Ms. Sylvan has a wonderful way with words. I was just as engrossed with her description of an empty room as I was with a fight scene. Given that much, narrative perspective didn't matter. ^_^I must say, the connection with the protagonist Miranda Grey was immediate. The author shows the character's suffering due to her bizarre powers being raw and uncontrolled; you can easily see the hopelessness of her situation. Things go from bad to worse and are (in a way) painful to follow but impossible to turn from. It was easy to buy into the nightmarish world Miranda finds herself in, as well as her attempts at healing and her struggles to recover.Dianne Sylvan knows how to put your emotions through the paces! There were times when my stomach was twisted with anxiousness, and others where I felt the sweet flutteries right alongside the protagonists. And regarding the latter…the progression of romance was exquisite! This is an area in which further description on my part is probably not going to be helpful: context is everything.Sylvan's visuals and well-placed details work such wonders in this book; I could go on indefinitely in praise of them. But I won't. (You're welcome. ^_^) I'll simply say that if you enjoy urban fantasy of the darker variety, you'll need to pick this one up. The series could literally go in any direction based on this first installment…but it's already clear that it's going to be amazing no matter what.