MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson Series #1)

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Molly Harper A delightful, fun and quick read. It was a surprisingly welcome experience, given my own typical reading proclivities (sassy kick-butt heroes and heroines in dark n gritty UF/PnR). This book has the overall feel of chick-lit, but without the silly-girl tendencies a la Bridget Jones (which is not an outright bad thing, but best enjoyed in measured doses ^_^). Most of the book focuses on the newly-undead lifestyle of a former children's book librarian, Jane Jameson. Aside from the expected awkward transitions (new feeding habits, breaking the news to loved ones, dealing with a distracting-but-deliciously-handsome sire), Jane finds herself the target of some mysterious and progressively dangerous attacks.I found Jane's voice to be inviting and cozy, and often found myself laughing out loud from some smart-alec quip or unexpected observation of hers. IMO it was perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of the book. I never found myself annoyed with her or her actions (a common complaint I have with many a popular "traditional" chick-lit novel). The supporting cast of characters was also fun to follow...the Pride and Prejudice-esque mother and father (shrill and nosy vs. put-upon but reasonable); Zeb the lifelong friend whose finally "grown up" to Jane's dismay; the sexy and mysterious sire, Gabriel; and said sire's former BFF-turned-enemy (and new friend to Jane), Richard Cheney. ::pause for comedic comprehension:: ^_^One aspect I wasn't in love with was the seeming descriptive "holes" in some passages. By this I mean...characters are having a conversation in the middle of a room, then all of a sudden, "he closed the door shut behind him" (to which I'd think to myself, Huh? when did someone leaving the room come into the equation? no one was thinking of leaving a minute ago...er?). I don't know how else to explain it, but it made scenes feel a tad unfinished. Given that the dialogue was such a blast to read, it felt even more pronounced at times.Once again, this was a thoroughly fun read. If the main character's fun personality makes the second installment of this series as enjoyable as it made this one, it'll be automatically worth a look.