MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Twice Bitten  - Chloe Neill I think Ms. Neill is my kindred author. Or maybe it's that Merit is my kindred protagonist. ^_^ Either way, the Chicagoland Vampires series is definitely at the very top of my "autobuy" list. Not only that, I also find myself obsessed with Merit and her merry band of characters.For a while though, I was feeling like something was missing from Merit's usual spunky sassiness. Until I realized that it was because for a while, there was no Mallory! They make such a great pair of pals, and bring out the best (and most interesting bits) of each other.The other great pair is of course Merit and Ethan. Sometimes the "will they, won't they" is maddening ^_^...but it sure does keep me glued to the pages. And there are a lot of Ethan-Merit shenanigans in this installment.This book was about three (or maybe 2.5) things. One was the increasing human threat to vampire- (and paranormal-) kind; another is the debate among shifters as to whether to involve themselves in this human threat by continuing to live in secret amongst the population, versus retreating into the Alaskan wilderness. The third theme revolves around Merit's complex feelings and loyalties toward Ethan, and by extension to her house.A couple of my absolute favorite aspects of Neill's storytelling are how comfy her dialogue is and how easy her character interactions are. I swear I loathe having to leave her world behind whenever I finish a book (or even set the book down in-between sessions), and this is in no small part because of how natural everything feels. Paranormal and completely natural, hows about that?Okay, I'd better stop this Chloe Neill-Merit love fest. Just read the book. ^_^ And be aware that you'll likely be itching for the next book immediately upon finishing this one. You've been forewarned.