MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Angels' Blood - Nalini Singh Second read-through (March 14 - 16, 2012):Glad I decided to reread this before catching up with books 3 and 4; this story was pitch perfect. It's just as amazing as I remember it; perhaps moreso, because I was still enthralled whilst knowing what the outcomes would be. Singh had several books under her belt before she wrote this tale, so it's not surprising that it suffers from no weaknesses common to series openers. Love it!Review from first read-through (April 22 - 23, 2010):Magnificent book, which gives a slightly different take on the vampire theme. Yes, there are "Angels" in the title (and a great many in the book), but the story is largely about vampirism, in a manner of speaking. Here, angels and vamps are inextricably tied (the former create the latter); this relationship is slowly uncovered through the 3rd-person perspectives of a few (vastly different) characters.Speaking of "slowly uncovered"...the book takes its time revealing certain important plot elements (in this case, not a bad thing). There were quite a few cryptic references to traumatic pasts for the two main characters (guild hunter Elena and archangel Raphael)...most of which were still extremely vague by the end of the novel (though they factored quite heavily into the plot, if that makes any sense. Which is fine, because they were nonetheless VERY intriguing and will likely be developed over numerous books.I really like how the author was able to make Raphael accessible enough to adore, yet have him be imposing (aloof? fearsome? distant? foreign?) enough to believe that he's been around for well over a millennium. I understood both Elena's attraction and her mind-numbing fear with regard to this guy.Great, fantastic start for this series.