MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Better Than 8: Fantasy - Erin Jamison Quick Take: An intriguing premise and sizzling sensuality factor make this book worth taking a look at. I was underwhelmed, however, by some of the structural aspects as well as by some of the characterizations.Review:This tale (and series) has a very intriguing premise. What's interesting is not simply the occurrence of online dating, but the nature of the online dating; here, it's closely and unabashedly tied to sexuality as well as romance.There were certainly some absolutely fabulous and addictive plot "bombs" that were dropped; on a couple of occasions I had to shout, "Oh, dayum!" Those are always fun. Likewise, the sexiness factor was way up there; I particularly liked how there was real steaminess between two people residing far apart, people who've never having met before. Bravo to that. ^_^ And lastly, protagonist Amara's band of girlfriends are a hoot; scenes with the lot of them together are easily highlights.I can't lie, though: there were some aspects of the novella that were underwhelming. One issue concerned the overall direction of the plot: in short, I felt there was not much cohesiveness to the story. Taken as a series of interconnected vignettes, the progression (or flow) of events works better, or is at least less jarring.Furthermore, there were a couple of plot points that required a lot more of a logic leap than would be expected in even erotic romance. Because many of the points in question occurred in the third act, I'll refrain from details. But I will (cryptically) note that I feel there's a relative level of believability within any given story. When characters behave absolutely contrary to their established personalities or beliefs, as a reader I want some exploration of that development beyond a cursory line or two. I felt like that believability was not achieved in certain instances of this story. (Feel free to ask me if you want detailed explanation of what I'm referring to.)Guess what, though? I plan on reading the next book in the series (forthcoming). The author's explanation of the 8 planned books mentions that each of the stories cover various aspects of digital dating. Sounds intriguing, no? I'm quite interested in seeing how everything is tied together as well as how the other "topics" are approached.