MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Giving Up The Ghost - Melissa Ecker (Originally posted at My Need to Read)Quick Take:This is a paranormal romance with lots of heartfelt emotion, though it still had plenty of sizzle to satisfy PnR fans.Review:Loss of a spouse. From the get-go (read: the book description), one knows that this book is not likely to be full of sunshine and slapstick, or even an abundance of purely physical pursuits. Melissa Ecker's paranormal romance takes a difficult situation and builds upon it to be much more than just a devastating life event.But speaking of said event. I think it's a testament to the author's skill as a writer that this book had me swimming in tears within the first three chapters. That reaction wasn't brought about simply because "someone died," but because Ecker really drew out the devastation and desperation that the protagonist (Kylie McAllister) experienced as a result of her loss.This loss has enduring effect on the heroine, but not for the reasons one may think. This story does not feature a long struggle of guilt at being a surviving spouse, nor does it have Kylie hesitating to eventually want to find love again. This is a ghost (or mysterious presence ^_^) story, in which a sequence of events following Kylie's loss leads to a haunting. A very malevolent, but steamy, haunting.There's certainly a decent amount of heat to be found in this story (though it's by no means at the level of erotica, Ecker's typical genre stomping grounds). Even given the sensuality factor in this book--which was delectable, let me tell you--there was a lot of emotion. It's in that respect that I felt the tale was really stand-out. The concern, care, anger, frustration, sadness, fear...all of these expressions were vivid and believable.A note for those typically averse to ghost stories: don't fear this one. This book won't keep you up at night pointing a flashlight at the closet. It might keep you up for a different reason, however, and will likely make you think twice about that next sexy dream. ^_^