MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Tempest's Legacy (Jane True) - Nicole Peeler (originally posted on mah' blog: here)Quick Take: This book starts with a bang and keeps up a relatively darker tone throughout. There are plenty of action-packed scenes, as well as a well of serious inner-musings from the protagonist. All-told it's a great followup and excellent set-up for the series's next books.This book was quite a ride. It follows some weeks after book 2, Tracking the Tempest, and shakes up Jane's world quite thoroughly. With a new setting--"the Borderlands"--came some fresh perspective on the JT world, and arguably an adjustment in direction and tone for the series.So many important developments occur, but unsurprisingly it was the characters that drew me in the most. Previous characters are all present, along with several new faces. I was in absolute stitches with the playful moments, and touched my the more solemn interactions.The book is most certainly darker in tone as compared to its two predecessors. Jane is faced with several traumatizing events, and is forced to process and reconcile her emotions whilst also taking drastic action on them. There's a lot of opportunity to see Jane grow both emotionally and metaphysically, and it was both powerful and empowering to observe.The romantic element, though vastly different in nature than it has been before (featuring more tease, for one thing), was quite bittersweet--with an emphasis on both the bitter and the sweet. ^_^ Some of the issues I had with book two persisted in the early parts of this book, but after looking past those what remained was quite engaging.The set-up for future books was incredibly solid; it's quite clear that Peeler has an overarching plan for how Jane's story will progress. Eye of the Tempest can't come out soon enough. ^_^