MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Midnight Awakening - Lara Adrian Quick Take: Loved it! My fave so far. The two leads were a great and compelling match. I'd recommend having read book two before jumping into the series with this book.I'm glad to note that thus far, I've enjoyed each Midnight Breed book more than the last. Granted, I've only finished three installments now, but the direction of the trend is a very promising one. In this story we're treated to a closer look at Tegan, the most closed and inaccessible of the Breed warriors. Up to now he's seemed stone-cold and emotionless, observations that are only solidified by the fact that his emotion-affected dermaglyphs--tattoo-like markings that the Breed are born with--are always at an innocuous, neutral shade.I for one didn't think much of Tegan in the first two books. It seemed almost as though he was intentionally painted into the proverbial wordwork. ^_^ I was pleased that his core-personality does not change, but that greater understanding of his motivations was gained. His nominal pairing with Elise didn't seem to make sense before I picked up this book, but I was made a believer by the end, that's for sure. He's now my favorite of the Order warriors.The plot moved at a wonderfully steady-yet-engaging pace, and I went through the whole book eager to read what was to follow. The romance is admittedly slow-going, but I felt it was actually better that way, as the characters' (considerable) emotional turmoil was given fair treatment. The entire "regular" cast was involved in the main plot line in some way, though the narrative perspective stayed mostly with the two leads. It worked out well, and I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds: an intimate glimpse at Tegan and Elise as they slowly came together, and meaningful portrayals of the other members of the Order. Not to mention a broadened scope of the overall series. I dug it all. ^_^Now, this book can technically be read stand-alone with minimal confusion. But I would highly recommend that newcomers read book two (Kiss of Crimson) before jumping into this book. Doing so will provide greater context and a deeper emotional understanding of the heroine, Elise Chase.This book only further solidifies my affinity for this series. I see that Rio is up next as lead hero, and I couldn't be more excited. Yay, Breed!