MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Kiss of Crimson - Lara Adrian Quick Take: A solid sequel that seems to outdo its predecessor. There's a lot of well-crafted action and intrigue here; this series now has my full attention.Ah, so here we have the second entry in the Midnight Breed series, a collection of books which is oft compared to another series with some similar themes--it starts with a B and a D and a B--but I'll not make any further mention of such since the MB series does deserve to be considered in its own right.Those that are already interested in this book are likely to have read its predecessor Kiss of Midnight. But it's my opinion that this book can absolutely be read without having read the one prior; book one's carry-over plot points really aren't emphasized or rendered crucial here. This story focuses on a mysterious new recreational drug named Crimson. The substance is powerful, highly addictive and deadly to the Breed (aka vampires), and is slowly threatening the well-being of the race. In scouting out the source of the threat, Breed warrior Dante Alighieri becomes inadvertently involved with veterinarian Tess Culver.I thought that this book built some great suspense over time. The Crimson plot thread was interesting, and actively involved several members of the main cast to complex yet seamless effect. The film "Traffic" comes to mind, what with its constellation of characters that are unwittingly tied together by circumstance (and drugs, of course). Only here we've got vampires, supernatural violence and sizzling sensuality, of course. ^_^On a somewhat related note...this book is also a great example of masterful use of the "two-or-more" perspective. I never felt lost, and the scene/perspective shifts were done at just the right moment to heighten anticipation and drama. Now, the build-up of the pairing itself wasn't (in my sole opinion) the most solid or moving I've ever read; at least initially. But it was still plenty precious and compelling, let me say. ^_^ Compelling particularly because it was so closely tied to the awesome Crimson plot-thread.After book one I was pleased but certainly not clamoring for a copy of book two. Having finished this book, however, I'm much more engaged and curious about what happens next for the Breed warriors. This story provided a masterfully subtle setup for future plot lines, and I hope the successors take it and run with it.