MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

The Mane Event - Shelly Laurenston Upon finishing, it's in my 4-5 star range.This book is actually two interconnected tales. They take place around the holidays (though this is not a "holiday book") and follow the perspectives of four characters. In "Christmas Pride," that's tough-as-nails Desiree MacDermot and Mace Llewellyn, the former Navy SEAL lion shifter who's been crazy about her since childhood. In "Shaw's Tail," we get to follow lion shifter Brandon Shaw and wolf shifter Ronnie Lee Reed. It should be noted upfront that all of the main characters are strong personalities. You'll find no beta-males or wallflowers here. :o)In each case, the stories are established rather quickly, with both heros being certain from moment one that they are enamored of their respective heroine. The way it's worked out, I didn't feel like I was being robbed of the "do I love her?" waffling…that job was left to the ladies, and therefore we're able to get two developed and satisfying tales.I thought the segue between the two stories was very well-done. It was basically a "tag" of sorts between two characters that were both involved in the first tale's climax. I was initially afraid we'd be completely dropped out of tale one, missing the first set of characters and disoriented from a bum-rush of the second. Not-so…the major h/h simply become minor characters. I really dug that, in part because I absolutely loved Mace and Dez. ^__^The segues between perspectives did take a little getting used to. At the very beginning of the book, the Mace/Dez turnover felt like almost once every page! :o) But either the frequency or I myself settled into a groove…after a while I didn't think about it at all.This is such a fun book! And it's all because of the characters' great interactions. There were numerous occasions where I found myself laughing out loud at someone's inane antics. We've got family squabbles, cute (potential) lovers' quarrels, and good-natured wise-cracking between friends. LOTS of witty banter. By the end of the book, I really had a hard time choosing a couple.