MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Soulless - Gail Carriger (Delayed review: written Aug. 2010)So. My favorite (or at least "top 2") book is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, so I guess it should come as a surprise that I enjoyed this book. But holy moly, I absolutely adored it! I can't remember the last time I finished a book and immediately wanted to re-read it...after completing this one, I flipped (clicked) right back to page one and ended up reading a (non-continuous) chunk of the story.Alexia is simply delightful. I enjoyed every minute of her misadventures, including her frequent instigation of sticky situations. ^_^ Oh, and I LOVED her at-once antagonistic and magnetic relationship with Lord Maccon, surly shifter extraordinaire. Hilarious and touching at the same time...I don't know how Carriger managed it. :o)In fact, all of the supporting characters were interesting and fun. Most of them are written to be larger-than-life, but they never once felt like "too much." Of course, this book seems like it was meant to be hyper-realistic, anyway...so that might be a given. But anyway. I felt like there were no weak characters, no half-assed roles. Even the "bad guys" were deliciously evil. ^_^A perfect blend of humor, excitement and intrigue...with a vivid atmosphere and endearing heroine. Simply put, this book rocked my socks off.