MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Fire Me Up - Katie MacAlister I'm very happy to say that I found this book to be much more enjoyable than the series starter, You Slay Me. This book plops Aisling into Hungary for a conference of magical folk the world over (whose acronym is GODTAM, hardy har). She's (more or less) come to terms with her abilities and wishes to learn more about the role and duties of Guardians, and spends her time in Budapest trying to find a mentor. Unfortunately, nothing is ever simple for Aisling, and even this innocuous activity puts her in deep trouble with the powers-that-be.Along with Aisling's Guardian-related dilemmas, a sizable portion of the story concerns the four dragon septs and their unique brand of politics. This was perhaps my favorite aspect of the book, in no small part due to the rocky interactions between Aisling and Drake. I liked how she's begun to come into her own as a magical being, and as such doesn't let herself get railroaded by Mr. Green-Wyvern Surly Pants. ^_^Ms. MacAlister's definitely a master of the art of the Third Act. ^_^ In this one, the mystery was tied together quite well, and seeds were planted that made reading the next book a must-do activity. And guess what? That's exactly what I did as soon as I was able! ^_^ Overall, a great follow-up.