MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning Twenty-two year-old "pretty girl" MacKayla "Mac" Lane lives a pretty good life: she's got a pair of loving parents, a sister who's also her best friend, and the security of a "homey" small-town community in Georgia. In the blink of an eye, Mac's world is shaken with the news about her sister's violent (and mysterious) death. In flying to Dublin, Ireland to investigate the details surrounding the murder, Mac finds that everything she thought she knew about her life--even herself--was not what it seemed.I don't know, rating this book was a toughy. I didn't dislike the book, but I can't say it was all that exciting, either. I read the book fairly quickly (in mostly one sitting), but it was mostly because I felt like there was a lot of potential, which might have been successfully realized on the next page, just maybe (maybe!)....Yeah, that didn't ever really work out so much. The book felt a lot like one really long prologue (as of this writing I've read the first few chapters of the second book in this series, Bloodfever, and it basically sums up the first book to the point that I could've skipped it altogether and been fine starting with the second installment).All of that having been said...there was some decent world building. I mean that literally, too: the atmosphere, the city of Dublin, the locales, the faerie lore. As for the characters, they were all great big enigmas even by the end of the book, with the exception of Mac, the narrator and protagonist. I'm sure this was the intention, however...just enough tidbits of information were given about some of the main characters (Mac's parents, her deceased sister Alina, her reluctant-partner-in-crime Jericho Barrons, and Barrons' assistant Fiona) to foster a good deal of interest in delving even further into their stories.The way I'll look at it is, this was a slow burner that has potential to fuel a pretty mean fire in subsequent books.Addendum to original entry:I suppose it's worth mentioning that this book is the first in a finite five-book series. That's to say, it was planned to be 5 books from the get-go. Doesn't change my rating, but does help me understand some of the reasoning behind the structure and content of the book.