MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Magic Strikes - Ilona Andrews Rating: 4.5Goodness gracious, I absolutely inhaled this book. Ilona Andrews is clearly a master at the steady-and-exciting-series-wide buildup. ^_^The procedural aspect is again present as with the previous book, but a huge portion of the story here involves a preternatural fighting tournament. I have to admit, some of the scenes involved therein were not as exciting to me as they may have been for other people. But then, I had the same thought about the film "Gladiator" and others like it, so there's a grain of salt right there. Either way, you'll find a lot of pure action sequences here of the "fight to the death" variety.Once again, you'll find mythological influences in this story, this time primarily Hindu in origin. I absolutely love how Ms. Andrews is able to take some complex stories and figures and weave them seamlessly into the Kate Daniels world.The People are more or less absent from this installment, which is just as well. Instead we get a huge dose of the Pack, and I must say I fell head over heels for each and every one of them (I'm lookin at you Curran, Derek, Jim, Raphael, Andrea, Dali and Doolittle). Even that knucklehead Saiman was a pleasure to follow. :o)If you've enjoyed the series thus far, do yourself a favor and make sure you have Magic Bleeds on hand before you finish this book. You'll be glad you did. ^_^