MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews Hm. I felt kinda sad that this book was just "OK" to me, given the great word of mouth...but so it goes. Not sorry to have read it, though.Reading this book felt somewhat akin to learning how to swim by being tossed into the deep end of a swimming pool. :o) I kept wondering if there was some prequel that I'd somehow missed (or that someone forgot to publish? lol). There was a lot of information and world-building to be had, that's for sure. But this information was presented in such a way that I felt rather disconnected (perhaps even lost) from the world and its inhabitants, despite the original premise.That was indeed my biggest gripe with the book. I found Kate herself to be rather interesting the more her character was examined. I like that she's a loner but is not without the ability to care for others (in this case, Greg and her father). She's also honorable but pragmatic as all hell. She's definitely not one dimensional, though it took a little while (about halfway through the book) to really feel that way about her.The setting of the book is interesting, as well. It makes the book feel like Urban Fantasy with traces of Epic. Again, it took a while to get past the dense (learning?) curve, but it's original, for sure.About 3/4 through the story, things started to get pretty juicy, and thankfully I was able to stop taking notes (mental and literal), and just enjoy the tale.Thanks to a mini-challenge I'm diving right into book two. Otherwise I might've tucked book 2 a bit further down the TBR pile....not out completely, just for another day. ^_^ All told, I'd recommend this book only to dedicated UF fans...probably not to a newbie (esp. if they aren't used to "first book" issues).