MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Touch the Dark - Karen Chance (Having read 250 of 307) This book was "interesting," but not in a good way. ^_^ The experience has thus far--having read about 3/4 of the book--been akin to reading a series of short stories starring the same main character; to say it felt random and disjointed is for me an understatement. In some books you have a main plot and a number of side/sub-plots; in this novel it felt like there was no main plot until near the end (and even then, "it don't make no sense!")...almost like the story wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be about. Not in the way some books use a certain randomness or confusion as a device to give the reader a better sense of the same emotional turbulence of the main characters.All of that having been said, I do like the universe Ms. Chance has created. There are several characters common to both this series and the spin-off ("Dorina Basarab") novels, characters that are enjoyable and intriguing. Also interesting is the overall concept of the vampire senate, as well as their struggles with the magic Circles and faerie Courts.But I'm not going to lie: I probably wouldn't have made it past page 75 if I hadn't already read the spin-off series. And I'm finishing this book up mostly because I don't want to be confused when I read the second one. "But why are you going to bother reading any further in the series, Alisha?" I've got hope that this is merely an example of "first-book-in-a-series blues" (or whatever it's called)...it's not all that uncommon, right? ...right?Addendum: Finished, finally. Rating and review stands, although there was a little bit of enjoyment and excitement to be had in the very end. I was still confused as heck from the winding, twisty action, and had to add greatly to the long list of "i need clarification" questions. Maybe I had my dunce cap on the whole time, but I still think it was that the book was just unclear, overly-complicated and ...well, just plain incomprehensible. On to book 2! ^_^Oh. And I'm definitely starting to get the "Mircea=Hotness" thing.