MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs Surprise, surprise...Ms. Briggs has again crafted a fine novel for the Mercedes Thompson series. In this book, the focus in on Mercy's sudden entanglement with faeriekind--namely ones that have interest in her untimely death--and her efforts to come to terms with being both a pack member and mate to the ever-wonderful Adam Hauptman.I must admit, I am a big fan of Mercy and her toughness, her resilience. But I'm an even bigger fan of Mercy's humanity, her vulnerability, her "softness" if you will (perhaps because it's fairly rare). This is evidenced well here, where she really opens herself up to Adam and the reality of their shared future. And Adam, too...his devotion and fierce love for Mercy is so absolutely precious, powerful and touching; I'm glad we're now able to see more of Adam's humanity through his affection for his mate. Ah, you've got to love their being in love. ^_^Mercy's standing in the pack is another source of trepidation for her. It seems that objections to her now-intimate involvement in pack affairs has turned into efforts to separate her from her mate through underhanded means. Because of this we get to see Mercy finally make a decision about how dedicated she is to this world of which she's been a part since childhood (albeit on the fringes).As for Samuel (oh, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel), who figures prominently into this book: To say he reaches his personal breaking point is an understatement. Briggs uses Samuel's furry alter ego ("Sam") to illustrate how he is truly his own worst enemy. Heartbreaking (at times) and poignant, Samuel's subplot really had me rooting for him more than I ever have before. Hopefully his progress is explored some more in future books; if not, then I'm going to have to say that the thread was wrapped up rather abruptly (dare I say randomly?).But anywho....yeah, it keeps getting better and better. :o) Please keep them coming, Ms. Briggs! ^_^