MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Shadow Game - Christine Feehan Sometimes it's nice to read a PnR book that uses a lighter, more deft hand with the "P" portion of the moniker...and Shadow Game fits that bill. The series' namesake refers to a group of soldiers who've had natural psychic predilections amplified exponentially. The result of the tampering has been extremely detrimental to them, such that their ability to survive in the "real world" is all but destroyed. Enter Dr. Lily Whitney, genius scientist and daughter of billionaire Dr. Peter Whitney. Her job, once introduced to this top-secret project, is to get to the bottom of "who/what/why/how"...or die trying.What I enjoyed most was the dynamic between the two protagonists, Lily and Captain Ryland Miller. They make for a one steamy couple! The evolution of their relationship was adorable; it was easily my favorite aspect of the book.The supporting characters are also quite fascinating. Captain Miller's team of soldiers were each introduced and described well enough to make them memorable for future books. Their primary function in this story was to accomplish (off-stage) any number of the Captain's commands. There were some fun and endearing scenes featuring the band of guys together, though. I really got the sense of the GhostWalkers being a type of rough-and-tumble family.Less compelling was some of the action. Missing was the excitement and tension that usually accompanies such scenes similar to the one in this book: prison escape attempts, assassinations, kidnappings, and good-old hand-to-hand combat. I mean, we're talking about Special Forces super-soldiers, here! ^_^ But more often than not, the action was a *bit* anti-climactic. Not terrible, just...not an aspect that had me dying to get to the next page.All in all, the world that was established here is a very interesting one, and future books have a very solid foundation from which to work. I'm vested in the Whitney household now, and intrigued for the next installment. I guess that's all one could ask for!