MyNeedToRead

My Need to Read

Pleasure Unbound - Larissa Ione Well now, this book was a blast to read, from beginning to end. There was a nice balance between the the romance and action...and both are present in considerable quantity (and quality). ^_^I really dig how just about all of the characters in this book lived in that "gray area" between Good Guy and Bad Guy status. The major theme running throughout the book was perception and appearances. For instance, Tayla is a (ruthless) demon-slayer who was raised by a seemingly negligent mother and assumes that ALL demons are evil. Her actions and views on the world come crashing down with just a few simple realizations. The demon world might not be devoid of good, and the legion of Guardians ("protectors of humanity") might not be without serious flaws.I also very much enjoyed Ione's very tightly plotted storytelling...she got down to business from page 1 and never let the narrative drag or become tedious. Ione seems to have a knack for excellent world-building; she's taken a boatload of concepts, terminology and characters and made them quickly and easily accessible. I felt a connection to the story and characters almost immediately.There was a little (tiny, minor, teensy) bit of a rushed feeling near the tail-end of the book...which caused certain twists and revelations--that might have otherwise been considered exciting and/or devastating, a la "Luke, I Am Your Father"--to feel a bit left-field and confusing. But such plot points are obviously meant to be explored more fully in future books, and Ione has proven that she knows what the heck she's doing. ^_^Oh, and the portrayal of Tayla and Eidolon's relationship? Fire! ^__^